Feel the magical phase-
Congratulations on your pregnancy! Childbirth is an exciting time in your life but it can have a significant and profound effect on your body. Lot many experiences unknown and a lot many feelings inexpressible, only felt by a mother. But these memories can be made sweeter by proper care and exercises during pregnancy as only a healthy mother raises a healthy family.
Importance of exercises during and after pregnancy-
1. Exercise increases blood circulation and oxygen consumption by the body.
2. Exercise prepares you for labour.
3. Reduces mood swings
4. Prevents Varicose veins and Ankle swelling-
5. Helps in Weight reduction-
BIOLOGICAL CHANGES DURING PREGNANCY-THE JOURNEY OF NINE MONTHS
This is the most crucial phase where the Brain, Spinal cord, Heart and other organs of the baby begin to form. By the end of the first trimester the foetus is about 3 inches in length. Fatigue, nausea, and mood swings are common in mother.
In this trimester, your baby has reached a point where their movements can be felt by mother. Many crucial organs like eyes and lungs develop in this phase.
In the third trimester bones and almost all the organs are fully developed except lungs which mature during delivery. Backache is a common problem as spine curves more to balance the size of enlarged uterus.
Below,I have given you some exercises that are great for your before and after child birth recovery. These exercises help to:
• improve your circulation;
• strengthen your pelvic floor muscles;
• prevent backache; and
• strengthen your tummy muscles.
1. Deep breathing
• Lie on your bed with your knees bent, with a pillow behind you.
• Breathe in deeply through your nose. Sigh out.
• Repeat 5 times.
• Do this exercise frequently.
2. Foot and ankle exercises
• Keep your knees relaxed
• Bend and stretch your ankles vigorously up and down for 30seconds
• Circle both feet 10 times in each direction.
3. KEGELS EXERCISES-
To do Kegels, imagine you are trying to stop the flow of urine. Hold it for a few seconds and relax, repeat the same for about 15-20 times in a single set. When you are doing this your pelvic floor muscles are contracting. This helps to prevent urinary incontinence. Kegels exercise helps with a shorter labour and faster post birth recovery
4. SHOULDER CIRCLES-
These can be done seated or in standing position. Rotate your shoulders backwards and downwards direction in a circular motion. This exercise opens the chest and prevents rounded shoulders that many women get during pregnancy
5. Pelvic tilting exercise
Pelvic tilt boosts your lower back stability and flexibility
• Lie on a firm surface with knees bent and a comfortable pillow beneath your head.
• Pull in your tummy.
• Press the lower part of your back down flat.
• Hold for several seconds, let go and repeat.
can be done 12-15 times in a single set
6. GOOD POSTURE
7. SWIMMING- Best and safest exercise for pregnant women because it involves the muscle of arms and legs and has got cardiovascular benefits.
8. WALKING- This is the best cardiovascular exercise as it can be done anywhere and anytime and can be continued throughout pregnancy.
9. EXERCISES FOR UPPER BACK- This exercise is usually done after delivery specially for a breast feeding mother.
• Sit with the arms crossed over the chest.
• Twist your upper back once to the left and alternatively to the right.
• repeat the movement about 12-15 times in a single set.
• can be done two times a day in about 2 sets of 15 repetitions each.
• If you have undergone a C-section please consult your doctor during your post natal check up before starting your exercise regimen.
• The above activities are usually safe for expecting mothers. However, always consult your physiotherapist for beginning a new exercise regimen.
• Go ahead, work out but listen to your body. Don’t overdo it, stop if anything hurts you or you feel uncomfortable. Have a happy and safe pregnancy.